Bryophyllum pinnatum, also known as the air plant, cathedral bells, life plant, miracle leaf, and Goethe plant is a succulent plant native to Madagascar, which is a popular houseplant and has become naturalized in tropical and subtropical areas. It is distinctive for the profusion of miniature plantlets that form on the margins of its phylloclades, a trait it has in common with some other members of its genus.
What is Miracle Leaves?
Is a succulent perennial herb, which grows up to 1m- 2m in height. The plant grows in tropical, sub-tropical and warm temperate climatic zone. The stems are thick, flexible and short and the flowers are pink, white or purple in colour. It forms a cymose panicle. Dried carrot like tuberous root is most important part of Patharchur. This is a branched aromatic herb. The nodes are often hairy in some species. It is grown in the garden for ornamental purposes.
Vernacular names for Bryophyllum pinnatum include Cathedral Bells, Air Plant, Life Plant, Miracle Leaf, Goethe Plant and the Katakataka. The first two of these are also commonly names for plants of other species and genera. In West Bengal, state of India it is called Patharkuchi in Bengali It is also called “Leaf of Life” and “Wonder of the World” in the English speaking Caribbean. In maharashtra state of india it is called “Panfuti” (Whoes leaves grow out from leaf ). In Odisha state of India, it is commonly known as Amarapoi (meaning: Deathless plant), Hemakaakara. In western part of Nigeria it is commonly known as “Ewe Abamoda”.
Medical/Healing Benefits of Miracle Leaves
The rhizome of this plant can be used as a preventive of the kidney stone or for the treatment of this. Tubers in India are eaten as a condiment.
- Miracle Leaves is given for the treatment of a cough, asthma, cold with candy sugar.
- It is used against dysentery.
- The plant root is used to treat high blood pressure.
- It is also used to prevent any kind of cardiac problem.
- Miracle Leaves is used for the treatment of fever.
- Rhizome powdered is used for the treatment of constipation.
- Miracle Leaves paste is used for the treatment of boil, wound, soar or cuts.
- The extract of Miracle Leaves is used for the treatment of roundworms (clotrimazol).
- The extract of the plant is used for the treatment of antipyretic activity.
- Using juice of this as eardrop heals the ear pain. Its natural remedy for ear pain.
- The paste of Pashan Bheda mixed with honey is used for the beginners teething trouble.
- Because of anti-diabetic property, it is used for the treatment of diabetics.
- The root of this plant is believed to protect the liver and proved useful for the treatment of hepatitis.
- It is proved diuretic. So, it cures difficult urination.
- Because of its antioxidant property, the plant is used in the mixture of herbal green tea.
- It is used as one of home remedies for piles (Hemorrhoids).
- The leaf juice is used for the treatment of stomach ache.
- The extract is used for the nourishment of the hair and treating gray hair.
- The leaves are used against intestinal disorder.
- The extract of this is anti-inflammatory and reduces inflammation.
- It is also used for the treatment of blood mixed diarrhoea.
- The paste is used against leucorrhoea.
- The fresh juice of Patharchur can be used to treat jaundice.
- It has importance in the treatment of certain types of cancer and weight management.
- It is the natural treatment for kidney and gallbladder stones.
The grazing animals face cardiac poisoning by eating Miracle Leaves. Since ages, it has been used as a traditional medicine for many diseases.
A Video of Miracle Leaf – To Get Rid of Kidney Stone