What Is Senna Alexandrina?
Senna plant is a flowering plant. It is a perennial and small hrub, which grows up to 10 meters. The leaves are pinnate with opposite pair leaflets. The inflorescence is racemes. The fruit is a legume. The flowers have 5 sepals, and usually, 5 yellowish petals. There are 10 stamens, and some of them are developed as staminodes. The leaves and fruit of the plant are used for medicinal purpose. Leaves are bitter, astringent sweet and therogenic. The leaves are more potent than the seeds.
Botanical Name And Family
Botanical name- Senna alexandrina
Geological Distribution of Senna Plant
The senna plant grows typically in India and China. Basically, it grows in Asia, North Africa, and Europe. In India, it grows in all over South India such as Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka. It is also found in Goa, Gujarat, Odisha and some other coastal regions. In Tamil Nadu, it is sown in February during spring rain as an irrigated crop. Senna grows in the sun well because it is a sun-loving plant. It should be harvested within 90 days from the time of sowing.
Healing/Traditional Benefits of Senna Alexandrina
Senna plant contains many chemicals, and they are called sennosides. Senna is a laxative. It is safe for a shorter period in case of pregnancy or breastfeeding. In India, it has been used as a laxative for thousands of years. It is available as a syrup, tablet, tea pouch or loose tea.
- The leaf of the Senna plant is used for the treatment of constipation traditionally. It is also used to clear the bowel before a colonoscopy.
- Senna plant is also used for treatment of hemorrhoids.
- It is also used for weight loss.
- Senna is used for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Senna also cures leprosy.
- Senna is useful in the treatment of bronchitis.
- It fights against cough, cold, and asthma.
- This is useful in the treatment of skin disorder.
- This is also helpful in the treatment of leucodermia.
- Senna is useful in the treatment of typhoid and cholera.
- It is proved useful in the treatment of gout and jaundice.
- Senna with water pills can decrease potassium in the body.
- Senna is mixed with tea for dieters because it decreases appetite without affecting the body system.
- Senna regulates gastric juice secretion in the body. Senna leaf is anti-inflammatory in nature.
- Senna was originally used for the treatment of fever, indigestion and killing ringworm naturally or any kind of intestinal worm.
- It is used for the treatment of stomach pain by North African traditional healers.
- Senna is used in the case of breathing difficulties.
- Senna leaves are used for alleviating toxin from our body.
Senna can cause diarrhoea, dehydration and electrolyte loss. The excess use of it can also cause stomach upset, vomiting and blood thinning. It also has other side effects such as nausea, bloody stool, rectal bleeding, stomach cramp and discoloured urine. So, before the use of Senna, the patient must consult with any Ayurveda specialist.